Fall Brawl 2020 Champion
Smells Like Quarantine Spirit
CHAMPION: Congrats to Smells Like Quarantine Spirit which won Fall Brawl 2020 with a score of 98 out of a possible 102.
Hello there, folks! Carl and I are pleased to announce our latest hare-brained virtual quizzo scheme: the FALL BRAWL.
SEASON: 11 weeks (10-week regular season + 1 week of playoffs). 11 games guaranteed (see below), up to 13 games max.
GAME FORMAT: The 10-week regular season in 40 minute sessions.
LEAGUE FORMAT: 50 teams. Two conferences of 5 divisions, 5 teams per division. You “play against” your 4 division rivals twice, plus 2 non-division games.
SCHEDULE: Regular season starts the week of September 7th. Playoffs (in breakout room format) take place the week of November 16th. The MOTHER OF ALL BRAWLS will take place on Sunday, November 22nd.
- WEEK 1: Food
- WEEK 2: Teen Idols
- WEEK 3: Germany
- WEEK 4: 2000s sitcoms
- WEEK 5: Before and After
- WEEK 6: Stadiums and Arenas
- WEEK 7: Pumpkin Spice Latte
- WEEK 8: Italy
- WEEK 9: Broadway
- WEEK 10: Colleges
PLAYOFFS: 12 teams from each conference make the playoffs- the 5 division winners, plus 7 wild card teams. The first 6 wild card spots go to the non-division winners with the highest average scores, and then the 7th slot will be determined by the highest score in Week 10 among those who haven’t yet clinched. There will also be a special event for non-playoff teams (***see below).
PAYMENT: $450 per team, with $20 going to the Poor People’s Economic Human Rights Campaign. Final payment is due by October 1. Payment can be made via Venmo via @jgtquizzo.
FALL BRAWL Posts
- Fall Brawl Sign-Ups are Live!
Here you go, fam. The schedule for slots in the Fall Brawl is live! If your team is already signed up, then you can fill out your schedule for weeks 1 and 2 (we’ll open up weeks 3-8 once we know exactly how many teams we have).
If you have not signed up yet, but plan on doing so, do so now so you can get your team up on the calendar!
- Fall Brawl II: Electric Quizaloo
We’re back, baby, and we’re better than ever!* Fall Brawl II kicks off on September 13th, and we can’t wait to see you nerds onscreen again. Sign-ups begin today! You can register here. We had a whopping 50 teams vie for the title last year, and despite our ever-so-slight return to “normal”, we know there are at least a few dozen who still prefer the virtual format. For the others of you who have returned to live quizzing, worry not….you’ll have the opportunity to do both.
For those unfamiliar- your team plays weekly in a private 45-minute Zoom session with a JGT-certified host, giving you a chance to interact with friends near and far while playing your favorite brand of trivia. Sessions are available Mon-Thurs between 7 and 10:45 PM Eastern.
SCHEDULE: Season starts the week of September 13th. 8-week regular season followed by 2 weeks of playoffs/consolation games. 9 games guaranteed to all teams.
LEAGUE FORMAT: Depending on how many teams we end up with, it’ll either be broken into divisions with “head-to-head” matchups each week, or kept as an overall seeding format with a tournament bracket for the playoffs.
PRICE: $425 per team, with $25 of that going to charity (PPERC). $200 deposit due by 9/13, balance due by 10/4.
Sign up today! See you in September!
*Possibly, no guarantees
- Meet Your Fall Brawl Finalists
- Underground Bard. The winners of our World Cup of Quizzo, they then finished 4th in the Summer Slam, losing by a mere 4 points. They are undoubtedly the favorites on Sunday night. VEGAS ODDS: 3/1
- Very Stable Geniuses. Not sure what got into their Wheaties, but after finishing 41st in Summer Slam, they put together a 7-3 season followed by a damn impressive 101 in the semis. Would be a hell of a turnaround if they could pull off the upset. VEGAS ODDS: 14/1
- Yacht Rock. After winning the Jigsaw division, the Yacht Rock crew put up a monstrous 98 on a tough semifinals quiz. They finished 27th in the Summer Slam, so a title in Fall Brawl would be a hell of a feat. VEGAS ODDS: 25/1
- Expired Walmart Meat. The Meat comes in hungry. They were a Final Four team in the World Cup, and finished 5th in Summer Slam. They were the 3rd highest scoring team in the Fall Brawl regular season. They’ve got the 3rd best odds of any team in the Finals. VEGAS ODDS: 7/1
- L. Ron Hubbard’s Diabetics. A mediocre 5-5 season earned them a wildcard spot, but they seem to be heating up at the right time. A perfect score in the Wild Card playoffs, followed by an 87 in the Semis. Would be a huge upset for this veteran squad, but not outside the realm of possibility…they finished 12th in the Summer Slam. VEGAS ODDS: 35/1
- FFSF. The #12 seed (out of 12) in the Nerds Conference, FFSF is the Fall Brawl Cinderella story, the team all of America is rooting for. They shocked Lambda, Zodiac Killers, and Boyz II Menehune in the Wildcard round, then put up a strong 87 in the semis. VEGAS ODDS: 75/1
- Smells Like Quarantine Spirit. The winners of Summer Slam, they lost one of their best players in the offseason and we’ve seen their play drop just a bit. But they still ruled the Nerd Conference, and they’re still a dangerous team. VEGAS ODDS: 11/2.
- Queefer Sutherland. A 9-1 regular season, but they squeaked into the finals with an 82. Our most experienced team in the finals, will that experience pay off in a championship belt? We’ll find out Sunday. VEGAS ODDS: 12/1
If you’d like to play along with us on Sunday night, it’s easy. Just go to the Johnny Goodtimes Facebook page, where we’ll be streaming live, and sign in on playbigquiz with the Event Key “fallfun”. It’s free to play, though your lovable quizmasters will certainly accept tips. Hope to see ya Sunday!
- Fall Brawl is Almost Over, and We’d Love to Get Your Feedback
We’re at Playoff Week here in the Fall Brawl. It’s been an awesome season, with plenty of twists and turns, and we’re already excited about the next one. Starting in January, Winter War will obviously be utilizing a lot of what has made this season so successful: standings, team logos, quizmaster talk shows, a regularly updated scoreboard, etc. But we’d love to hear your suggestions on how to make things even better. Do us a solid and fill out this brief, three question survey. We’ll incorporate some of your best ideas into Winter War. You’ll also get a 20% off code to Shibe Sports, where we just launched our new Philly Culture series. Thanks!
- What a Week!
Well fam, it’s been a damn fun Fall Brawl season. We saw quite a bit of craziness go down. I mean, just look at Week 10:
Narcotyzing Dysfunction, staggering in at 3-6 and coming off a pathetic 30 point performance, scored a 49 (didn’t hurt that several of them work at universities) to earn the final wild card bid in the Nerds Conference.
Covid’s Metamorphoses needed a big Week 10 to get in as the final wild card team…and they did so, scoring an impressive 46. That dropped Little Kwings out of the playoffs…until they scored a 39 and got in as an at large. Which meant heartbreak for QuizYo, Meat Sweats, and Pearls of Wisdom, who all finished with a 38…one point out of the playoffs.
And finally, a shout to There’s No I in Quizzo: they were our only team to finish the season 0-10. There’s gonna be some sort of prize for that.
Great week, great season, and a big week ahead of us. See you guys soon!