Greetings Quizzo diehards. The Winter Warz is upon us.
SIGN UP NOW: To reserve your team’s spot, fill out this form.
SEASON: Season kicks off the week of January 4th. 10-week regular season via Zoom. One week of playoffs week of March 15, in Breakout Room format. 12 games guaranteed including the brand new Mid-Season Mixer (see below). Final will be held on Sunday, March 21.
GAME FORMAT: The 10-week regular season in 40 minute Zoom Quizzo sessions. Top nine scores are used to determine your overall score.
LEAGUE FORMAT: Up to 60 teams. Two conferences. You “play against” your division rivals twice.
QUIZZO TOPICS: There will be three topics per week, one per round. This will keep the quizzes “general” but still allows us to have some fun with your ideas for topics. We’ve already gotten a ton of suggestions, but would love to hear even more. Topics for the first five weeks were announced on Sunday, January 3.
- 90s Celebrity Gossip; African American Culture; Before and After; True Crime & Serial Killers; Obscure Sports; Trump Tweets; Furniture; Colors; South Pacific; Latin America; Snakes; World Religions; Horror Films; Arizona; Academy Awards
MID-SEASON MIXER: We’ll also offer a “Mid-Season Mixer”, where everyone in the league is welcome to play…but instead of breaking into your previous teams we’ll split you up randomly into teams. Thought it might be a fun way to get to know some new quizzers, some who have been playing along since March, and some of them going back years and even decades.
PLAYOFFS: 32 teams make the playoffs – 16 per conference. 1st & 2nd place in each division earn an automatic berth. 1st place teams get a bye and advance to the Semifinals, 2nd place teams play in the Wild Card Game (20 teams total). Of the remaining teams, the top 5 average scorers per conference gain a Wild Card berth (10 teams total). And then in Week 10, the remaining teams per conference NOT mentioned above compete for a final “Joker’s Wild Card” slot, based on their Week 10 quiz score. (2 teams total).
RULES UPDATES: 40 minute time limit, 2 hints available in the final round for a 2-pt deduction. In an effort to limit the “ringers” factor, in order for individual players to be eligible for the postseason, they will need to have played in at least 5 regular season games.
PAYMENT: $450 per team, with $20 going to a local charity. Final payment is due by February 1. Payment can be made via Venmo to @jgtquizzo.
Winter Warz Posts
- Meet Your Fall Brawl Finalists
- Underground Bard. The winners of our World Cup of Quizzo, they then finished 4th in the Summer Slam, losing by a mere 4 points. They are undoubtedly the favorites on Sunday night. VEGAS ODDS: 3/1
- Very Stable Geniuses. Not sure what got into their Wheaties, but after finishing 41st in Summer Slam, they put together a 7-3 season followed by a damn impressive 101 in the semis. Would be a hell of a turnaround if they could pull off the upset. VEGAS ODDS: 14/1
- Yacht Rock. After winning the Jigsaw division, the Yacht Rock crew put up a monstrous 98 on a tough semifinals quiz. They finished 27th in the Summer Slam, so a title in Fall Brawl would be a hell of a feat. VEGAS ODDS: 25/1
- Expired Walmart Meat. The Meat comes in hungry. They were a Final Four team in the World Cup, and finished 5th in Summer Slam. They were the 3rd highest scoring team in the Fall Brawl regular season. They’ve got the 3rd best odds of any team in the Finals. VEGAS ODDS: 7/1
- L. Ron Hubbard’s Diabetics. A mediocre 5-5 season earned them a wildcard spot, but they seem to be heating up at the right time. A perfect score in the Wild Card playoffs, followed by an 87 in the Semis. Would be a huge upset for this veteran squad, but not outside the realm of possibility…they finished 12th in the Summer Slam. VEGAS ODDS: 35/1
- FFSF. The #12 seed (out of 12) in the Nerds Conference, FFSF is the Fall Brawl Cinderella story, the team all of America is rooting for. They shocked Lambda, Zodiac Killers, and Boyz II Menehune in the Wildcard round, then put up a strong 87 in the semis. VEGAS ODDS: 75/1
- Smells Like Quarantine Spirit. The winners of Summer Slam, they lost one of their best players in the offseason and we’ve seen their play drop just a bit. But they still ruled the Nerd Conference, and they’re still a dangerous team. VEGAS ODDS: 11/2.
- Queefer Sutherland. A 9-1 regular season, but they squeaked into the finals with an 82. Our most experienced team in the finals, will that experience pay off in a championship belt? We’ll find out Sunday. VEGAS ODDS: 12/1
If you’d like to play along with us on Sunday night, it’s easy. Just go to the Johnny Goodtimes Facebook page, where we’ll be streaming live, and sign in on playbigquiz with the Event Key “fallfun”. It’s free to play, though your lovable quizmasters will certainly accept tips. Hope to see ya Sunday!
- Fall Brawl is Almost Over, and We’d Love to Get Your Feedback
We’re at Playoff Week here in the Fall Brawl. It’s been an awesome season, with plenty of twists and turns, and we’re already excited about the next one. Starting in January, Winter War will obviously be utilizing a lot of what has made this season so successful: standings, team logos, quizmaster talk shows, a regularly updated scoreboard, etc. But we’d love to hear your suggestions on how to make things even better. Do us a solid and fill out this brief, three question survey. We’ll incorporate some of your best ideas into Winter War. You’ll also get a 20% off code to Shibe Sports, where we just launched our new Philly Culture series. Thanks!
- What a Week!
Well fam, it’s been a damn fun Fall Brawl season. We saw quite a bit of craziness go down. I mean, just look at Week 10:
Narcotyzing Dysfunction, staggering in at 3-6 and coming off a pathetic 30 point performance, scored a 49 (didn’t hurt that several of them work at universities) to earn the final wild card bid in the Nerds Conference.
Covid’s Metamorphoses needed a big Week 10 to get in as the final wild card team…and they did so, scoring an impressive 46. That dropped Little Kwings out of the playoffs…until they scored a 39 and got in as an at large. Which meant heartbreak for QuizYo, Meat Sweats, and Pearls of Wisdom, who all finished with a 38…one point out of the playoffs.
And finally, a shout to There’s No I in Quizzo: they were our only team to finish the season 0-10. There’s gonna be some sort of prize for that.
Great week, great season, and a big week ahead of us. See you guys soon!
- College Week at Quizzo
This week’s quizzo theme is colleges and universities. Gonna be a good one, and we’ve got a lot of playoff intrigue riding on this week. Looking forward to it!
- Pumpkin Spice Latte Week!
What does it mean? Who knows. But it’s gonna be a good one.