After taking off the 5th, we’ll be back this Sunday with a fundraiser the Broad Street Ministry, who do tremendous work with the city’s homeless. One of their many programs is the Clothing Closet, which last year distributed over 15,000 articles of clothing. It’s free to play, and 50% of all tips on Sunday night will go to BSM. Hope you’ll join us this Sunday at 8 PM.
Here they are, folks, our scores after two weeks of Summer Slam. Expired Walmart Meat has the lead, followed closely by the Zodiac Killer$. Cool Cats and Kittens are third, newcomers Quarantine Spirit are 4th, and World Cup winners Underground Bard are in 5th.
Here they are folks, our rankings after Week 1. Shout out to Expired Walmart Meat, the only team with a perfect score and the lead after one week. A few other things to note:
Average Tie-breaker differential is some crazy ass thing Carl came up with to be a tiebreaker in our standings. A 0% tiebreaker differential is the best you can get…it means you got the tiebreaker exactly right. So last week a few teams were right that Roy Sullivan got struck by lightning 7 times. On the opposite end of that spectrum, There’s No I guessed that he got struck 77 times, which I can’t stop laughing about.
One thing that you’ll see when you click on the standings is a team logo and a link to a bunch of the teams. That’s because most of the teams in our World Cup created team pages and logos. If you’re playing in the Summer Slam and wanna create a team page…great! Just create a logo (I find canva helpful) and send me an email at johnny at johnnygoodtimes.com with your team bio. For an example, check out the Cracked Eggheads.
Alright, look forward to seeing you this week!
We are going to be raising money once again for the Young Fathers United. We raised $85 for them this past Sunday, let’s see if we can get over $100 this Sunday. As always the quiz is free, though we do encourage a donation, as it helps out our fellow Philadelphians in need.
Thank you to everyone who has donated so far…Since we started in late March, Sunday Night Quizzo Lab has raised over $2000 for orgs such as PPEHRC, the Anderson Monarchs, and Nourished. Furthermore, with $20 of each teams buy in for SUMMER SLAM going to PPEHRC, we just raised another $1000 for them this week. If anyone wants to go beyond donating to the quiz, and instead wants to volunteer for any of the wonderful organizations that we’re fundraising for, shoot me a line (johnny at johnnygoodtimes.com) and I’ll get you in touch with the right people.
Wanna sign up for this Sunday? You can do so here.
Our theme this week: MOVIES.
Wanna see your team on the Top 20 list? Join the SUMMER SLAM! and see how you fare from week to week. Shout out to our six teams who make their first appearance on the Top 20 this week.
- Social Distance Warriors (same). Tied for the 5th highest score this past week. A finalist in both of our tourneys, they head into Summer Slam as our top seed.
- Underground Bard (same). Their win in the World Cup keeps them at #2 for now, but after a 13th place finish this past week, the #3 team is breathing down their necks.
- Cool Cats and Kittens (+3). They’ve dominated many Sunday nights, and now they’ve been #1 on back to back weeks of regular season games. They could be #1 within a week.
- Boys II Menehune (-1). Took the week off, but finished 3rd last week.
- Zodiac Killer (+1). Second highest score last week, 9th highest this week.
- Expired Walmart Meat (-2). Tied for 4th last week, tied for 10th this week.
- Lambda (+1). An impressive 2nd place performance this week.
- Yacht Rock (+2). Tied for 4th last week, 4th this week.
- Careless Fister (-2). Tied for 5th this past week.
- Au Bon Pandemic (Previously unranked). Tied for 4th last week, tied for 5th this week.
- Covid’s Metamorpheses (Previously unranked). Tied for 5th this week, and tied for 7th last week.
- Hot Bleach Injection (Previously unranked). These New Kids on the Block have a bunch of hits! 7th place last week, 3rd Place this week.
- Duane’s World (-1). Tied for 13th this past week.
- Super Spreaders (Previously unranked). Tied for 16th this past week, 10th last week.
- Sofa Kingdom (-4). Slip slidin’ away.
- Pop Fit Studio (previously unranked). 21st last week, 10th this week.
- Branch Covidians (-8). Didn’t play this week, 14th last week.
- L Ron Hubbard (-3). 15th last week, 29th this week.
- Babysitter’s Fight Club (-2). 16th last week, a complete train wreck this week.
- Stately Plump Buck Mulligans (Previously Unranked). 13th last week, 21st this week.
Congrats to the Cool Cats and Kittens, who had our highest score again this week. Updated Top 20 coming out later today. Have to think they’re going to move up from their current #5 spot. Here were all of our team scores from the past week.
|Cool Cats and Kittens||52|
|Lambda Lambda Lambda||48|
|Hot Bleach Injection||46|
|Au Bon Pandemic||43|
|Social Distance Warriors||43|
|The Zodiac Killer$||42|
|Pop Fit Studio||40|
|Expired Walmart meat||40|
|Tony! Toni! Menehune!||38|
|The Missing Heads||37|
|Quiz on my Face||36|
|Stately Plump Buck Mulligans||35|
|There’s No I in Quizzo||35|
|Not last place||32|
|Babysitters Fight Club||29|
|Joshy Rich’s Close Touch Salon||29|
|Kings of Leon||26|
|Jawn of the dead||25|
|Tuesday night Quizzo club||25|
|The Escape Artists||24|
For those of you who have signed up and made a deposit for SUMMER SLAM! feel free to sign up for the first four weeks of SUMMER SLAM! You can pick your QM and your time for each week. No signing up for a slot until you’ve signed up and made your teams deposit. Sign ups are here.
Wanna know more about SUMMER SLAM!? You can find more info here.
Please note, I’m on vacation for Week 3, so teams can sign up for me for weeks 1, 2, and 4 but grab someone else for Week 3.
Carl’s gonna take the reins on Sunday night for this week’s quiz. Which, as several of you have rubbed in my face lately, is JUST FINE. If I hear one more time, “Carl would have given us credit for that” or “Carl’s quiz is so much more fun” I’m going to lose it. Jerks.
Anyways, if you want to sign up for a special Father’s Day edition of the quiz, you can do so here. I’m psyched about the charity we’re raising money for on Sunday as well. Young Fathers United works with young fathers in the Philadelphia area, some of whom have never had a father figure in their own lives but who want to be good dads. 50% of tips this Sunday night will go to YFU.
I spoke with the gentleman who runs the organization, Archye. They run three 13-week programs each year and he told me that due to COVID, funding was becoming an issue, and he was incredibly thankful that we were reaching out. If you’d like to donate and aren’t playing the quiz you can still donate by venmoing me at @jgtquizzo and posting YFU in the note, or you can go directly to their website and donate there.
Last week our baseball quiz raised over $600 for the Anderson Monarch baseball program, we raised $200 for the Nourished Nurse Program at Penn, and we have raised over $1000 for the Poor People’s Economic Human Rights campaign in the past three months. I cannot thank you guys enough for your generosity! I’m pretty damn lucky to be surrounded by such an awesome group of people. (Except for those of you who heckle me about Carl. Come on, he’s not THAT good. Geez.)
Alright folks, time to move on to our next hare-brained scheme! It’s called SUMMER SLAM 2020 and the breakdown is as follows:
- GAMES: 8-week regular season, starting the week of June 22nd. You can play every week, but only need to play 5 times to qualify for regular season prizes and/or the culminating event on Sunday, August 16th.
- FORMAT: All regular season games will be in the single-team format- just you and your quizmaster, at evening times of your choosing Monday through Friday. The August 16th SUMMER SLAM! event will be in the breakout-room format.
- PRICE: $280/team for the 8-week regular season (which averages out to $35 per game).
- SIGN-UPS: quick & easy via this Google form.
THE BELLS & WHISTLES
- The average of your team’s top 5 scores will determine your regular-season ranking.
- We’ll keep track of rankings on the website as we go, as well as an ongoing Top 20 list…if you missed it last week, we’ve got a top 20 posted now. We’ll have a new one posted Saturday.
- After Week 7 of the regular season, the top 30 teams will earn a spot in SUMMER SLAM! on August 16th (see below). Week 8 will be a wild card week: the top 6 teams who haven’t earned an automatic bid will receive an at-large one.
- Carl and I will host an occasional live show on Facebook on Sunday nights discussing our top teams and inviting some team members onto the show for interviews.
- PRIZES will be given for various regular-season categories, including our top 4 regular season teams and some funky ones beyond just the top teams in the rankings.
- SUMMER SLAM! will be a full 5-round quizzo event, featuring entertainment between rounds and CASH PRIZES- think Quizzo Bowl gone virtual. The winner receives the Cliver Cup (named after Andy of L Ron Hubbard’s Diabetics, who inspired this whole idea). And yes, we promise that Carl will run the tech.
- Payment details:
- You don’t have to pay all at once; just get us $100 by this Sunday and the rest by July 6th.
- Of the $280, $20 will go to the Poor People’s Economic Human Rights campaign. If we get, for example, 50 teams, that’s $1000 for a terrific local charity.
- If you play fewer than 7 times, we’ll send you back you back $35 per game fewer than 7. But you have to play 5 times to be eligible for the big event.
- There will be an extra buy-in to the ultimate SUMMER SLAM! event, hence the cash prizes.
And yes, all things SUMMER SLAM must be capitalized and said with enthusiasm. Otherwise, don’t say it at all. Hope to see you this summer!
Here ya go, gang, sign ups are live for this week’s quizzes! $35 to play, just your team with a quizmaster of their own, with $5 going to charity.
Shout out to Cool Cats and Kittens whose score of 50 was the highest of anyone last week. Here are our full final standings. We’ll see how this affects our top 20, coming out later this week!
|1. Cool Cats and Kittens||50|
|2. Zodiac Killer$||49|
|3. Backstreet Boys II Menehune||48|
|4. Au Bon Pandemic||47|
|T-4. Expired Walmart Meat||47|
|T-4. Yacht Rock||47|
|7. Covid’s Metamorphoses||46|
|T-7. Hot Bleach Injection (aka Bologna Strong)||46|
|9. Kings of Leon||45|
|10. Super Spreaders||43|
|T-10. The Quarantiners||43|
|T-10. Hallmark Hot||43|
|13. Stately Plump Buck Mulligans||42|
|14. Branch Covidians||41|
|15. L Ron Hubbard||40|
|T-15. Lambda Lambda Lambda||40|
|16. Missing Wuhan Scientists||39|
|T-16. The Covidiots||39|
|T-16. Sofa Kingdom||39|
|T-16. Babysitters Fight Club||39|
|21. Pop Fit Studio||37|
|23. Quiz on My Face||36|
|T-23. Hydroxychloroquine Latifa||36|
|T-23. Quick Question||36|
|26. Below Basic||35|
|T-26. Synchronized Trampoline||35|
|T-26. The Missing Heads||35|
|29. City Tap||33|
|31. Together Alone||32|
|T-31. Meat Sweats||32|
|T-31. Cark in a Whig||32|
|34. Dobby’s Sock||31|
|T-34. Not Last place||31|
|T-34. Carole’s Husband||31|
|37. Brandon Muthafuckin’ Grotesque||29|
|38. Joshy Rich’s Close Touch Salon||27|
|39. There’s no I||25|
|40. What About Bob?||24|
|T-40. Socially Distant||24|
After putting all of the numbers of the past few months through our PATENTED Quiztron 2000 computer system, we now have a definitive Top 20 Quizzo list. We’ll see how our teams do in this week’s games and adjust them accordingly next week.
- Social Distance Warriors. Won one tourney. Lost in OT in the Finals of the 2nd. No brainer.
- Underground Bard. A huge win in the World Cup Finals after running through some of quizzos toughest teams.
- Boyz II Menehune. A Quizzo Bowl win and a Final Four appearance in the World Cup.
- Expired Walmart Meat. Final Four appearance, lost to eventual champs in OT.
- Cool Cats and Kittens. Highest scoring team in the regular season. Final 8 finish.
- Zodiac Killer. Tied for 2nd highest regular season score, Final 8 in both tourneys.
- Careless Fister. Tied for 2nd highest regular season score.
- Lambda Lambda Lambda. Won Group K, lost a 52-51 heartbreaker to SDW in Final 8.
- Branch Covidians. Final Four in April Madness, won Group J.
- Yacht Rock. Won Group F.
- Sofa Kingdom. Disappointing in both tourneys. Have their glory days past them by?
- Duane’s World. Great regular season but stunning first round loss in tourney.
- Synchronized Trampoline. Final Four in April Madness, Final Four in the NIT.
- Del Covid 19. Went 3-0 and won Group H.
- L Ron Hubbard’s Diabetics. Won Group L.
- In the Lead. Shocked Duane’s World in tourney, then almost beat Boyz II Menehune.
- Babysitters Fight Club. 3-0 regular season, Final 8 in April Madness.
- Texas City Players Club. Won the NIT.
- Lamination Station. Final Four in April Madness and Final 8 in the NIT.
- Cracked Eggheads. 125 points in regular season.
Also receiving votes: Missing Heads, There’s No I In Quizzo, FFSF, El Tigre, the Jawns, Missing Wuhan Scientists
As part of our weekly Sunday night charity fundraisers, this week we are fundraising for one I am particularly inspired by. The Anderson Monarch baseball program is, quite simply, the best of its kind in the nation. If you don’t know about it yet, I highly encourage you to read this.
The baseball quiz is free to play, we’ll have prizes from Shibe Sports, and 100% of tips go to the Monarchs. If you want to sign up, you can do so here. Quiz starts at 7 pm, teams are up to 8 players each, and quiz should take about an hour. Hope to see you on Sunday!
Sign ups are live for quizzo this week and for some damn reason Carl has more sign ups than I do. Come on, people. Sign up here. Let’s have some fun. Yes, we will be keeping track of high scores this week and yes there will be prizes for top scores.