As you may know, Mike Minion is crazy about Harry Potter (with the operative word being “crazy”.) Therefore, he is not only hosting the Harry Potter quiz tonight at the Ugly American at 7:30, he also took the time to put this write-up together. I don’t even have words. Entire spiel written posted after the break for those of you fluent in Potter-ese.
To all participants:
It has come to the attention of the Tournament Director (i.e., me) that certain teams may be planning to use less-than-honorable methods to win. To ensure a fair and competitive environment, the following rules are now in effect:
- The use of an Unforgivable Curse on a member of a rival team is, well, unforgivable and will result in immediate disqualification and a trip to Azkaban.
- The use of a Memory Charm is also ruled illegal. Same result, except it’s a trip to the Headmaster’s office instead.
- Upon further thought, all spells are banned. So just knock it off.
- Similarly, the use any potion prior to the Tournament is banned, with the exception of Veritaserum. The truth shall set you free.
- All Muggle devices of an electronic nature are banned. Any use during play, FOR WHATEVER REASON, will result in losing half your team’s points for that round.
- All Zonko’s and Weasley products are banned. This includes Extendable Ears, to prevent eavesdropping on other teams.
- Now, I must warn you that the most stringent anti-cheating charms have been applied to your examination papers. Auto-Answer Quills are banned from the examination hall, as are Remembralls, Detachable Cribbing Cuffs and Self-Correcting Ink. Only the Muggle writing implements provided by the Head Quizard are acceptable.
- A bonus point will be awarded for each team member that arrives by Apparating, using a Portkey, or via the Floo network.
- In order to make the Tournament more Muggle-friendly, there will be one bonus question at the end of each round. This question will be based on the Wizarding community, but will have a Muggle answer.
- One bonus point will be awarded per team if any member arrives in a proper wizard hat and/or robe.
- Anyone who brings me a Time-Turner will not only guarantee a win for their team, but an incredibly amusing evening to boot.
The ASCPA has asked that all familiars be left at home.
The Ugly American is not on the Knight Bus route. Please make other arrangements for transportation.
In the case of a tie, the Seekers for the teams involved will compete head-to-head in a sudden-death shoot out.
Any behavior contrary to the spirit of friendly competition that is not covered by the above will be dealt with most harshly. Cross the line, and a Full-Body Bind for the duration of the tournament will the least of your problems.
Best of luck to all!!! (that is, the best that can be obtained without the use of Felix Felicitas)