SUMMER SLAM 2020 ran from June, 2020 through mid-August with weekly quizzes, culminating into a SUMMER SLAM Finale that was won by Smells Like Quarantine Spirit.
2020 Summer Slam Champion
Smells Like Quarantine Spirit
The SUMMER SLAM Finale
- Sunday, August 16
- Full 5-round quizzo event
- Smells Like Quarantine Spirit defeated Boyz II Menehune in overtime to win the first ever Cliver Cup.
- The Cliver Cup is named after Andy of L Ron Hubbard’s Diabetics, who inspired this whole idea.
- GAMES: 8-week regular season, starting the week of June 22nd. You can play every week, but only need to play 5 times to qualify for regular season prizes and/or the culminating event on Sunday, August 16th.
- FORMAT: All regular season games will be in the single-team format- just you and your quiz master, at evening times of your choosing Monday through Friday. The August 16th SUMMER SLAM! event will be in the breakout-room format.
The Bells & Whistles
- The average of your team’s top 5 scores will determine your regular-season ranking.
- After Week 7 of the regular season, the top 30 teams will earn a spot in SUMMER SLAM! on August 16th (see below). Week 8 will be a wild card week: the top 6 teams who haven’t earned an automatic bid will receive an at-large one.
- Carl and I will host an occasional live show on Facebook on Sunday nights discussing our top teams and inviting some team members onto the show for interviews.
- PRIZES will be given for various regular-season categories, including our top 4 regular season teams and some funky ones beyond just the top teams in the rankings.
- Payment details:
- Of the $280, $20 will go to the Poor People’s Economic Human Rights campaign. If we get, for example, 50 teams, that’s $1000 for a terrific local charity.
- If you play fewer than 7 times, we’ll send you back you back $35 per game fewer than 7. But you have to play 5 times to be eligible for the big event.
- There will be an extra buy-in to the ultimate SUMMER SLAM! event, hence the cash prizes.
And yes, all things SUMMER SLAM must be capitalized and said with enthusiasm. Otherwise, don’t say it at all. Hope to see you this summer!
SUMMER SLAM Top Scores
|Expired Walmart Meat||52||Week 1|
|Au Bon Pandemic||52||Week 6|
|Cool Cats & Kittens||52||Week 6|
|Cool Cats & Kittens||51||Week 3|
|Underground Bard||51||Week 3|
|Hangin' Tough||51||Week 6|
|Underground Bard||50||Week 1|
|Smells Like Quarantine Spirit||50||Week 3|
|Cool Cats & Kittens||50||Week 4|
|Au Bon Pandemic||50||Week 5|
Summer Slam Posts
- Final Scores of Summer Slam
We had a great time with SUMMER SLAM! and we thank everyone who played. 35 teams, all of them trashing JGT in the chat room while praising Carl. Jerks. Our finals were an instant classic, as Smells Like Quarantine Spirit emerged with a thrilling overtime win over Boyz II Menehune. Lambda Lambda Lambda finished in 3rd, a single point behind the top two. Here are the final scores:
1 Smells Like Quarentine Spirit 127.00 2 Boys II Menehune 127.00 3 Lambda Lambda Lambda 126.00 4 Underground Bard 123.00 5 Expired Walmart Meat 123.00 6 The Zodiac Killer$ 122.00 7 The Jawns 122.00 8 Ukraine in the Membrane 117.00 9 Texas City Players Club 117.00 10 Cool Cats & Kittens 117.00 11 Au Bon Pandemic 114.00 12 L. Ron Hubbard’s Diabetics 112.00 13 Hallmark Hot 110.00 14 Hangin’ Tough 109.00 15 DelCovid-19 107.00 16 Careless Fister 107.00 17 Duane’s World 106.00 18 Synchronized Trampoline 104.00 19 Super Spreaders 104.00 20 Cark in a Whig 103.00 21 Quiz Yo 102.00 22 Internet Explorers 102.00 23 Pop Fit Studio 98.00 24 Branch Covidians 98.00 25 Queefer Sutherland 95.00 26 Mad Princes 94.00 27 Yacht Rock 93.00 28 Sofa Kingdom 91.00 29 Little Kwings 89.00 30 Below Basic 88.00 31 The Missing Heads 85.00 32 Meat Sweats 83.00 33 Kings of Leon 82.00 34 Babysitters Fight Club 74.00 35 Drunk Parents 63.00
- Our Scores Headed Into Week 8
Here they are folks. Best of luck this week, everybody! I’ll send an email on Wednesday with details about the Big Event.
- 2nd Place Week
This week, to wrap up the JGT SUMMER SLAM, we honor those who ALMOST made it to the top. We honor those who won the pennant, but lost the World Series. People who won their primary, but lost the general election. Couldn’t quite pull off the win in some crappy reality show? We’ll see ya on this week’s quiz! Should be a fun quiz.
And then, on Sunday, we wrap it up with the SUMMER SLAM Main Event! We’ll have more details tomorrow.
- Breakfast Week
This week, we celebrate the first meal of the day at quizzo. If you’d like to play and aren’t a part of the SUMMER SLAM, you can sign up here. See ya this week!
Top Scores for Breakfast WeekTeamScoreWeek
Boyz II Menehune 47 Week 7 Cool Cats & Kittens 47 Week 7 L. Ron Hubbard's Diabetics 47 Week 7 Hallmark Hot 46 Week 7 Smells Like Quarantine Spirit 46 Week 7 Expired Walmart Meat 45 Week 7 Au Bon Pandemic 44 Week 7 Underground Bard 44 Week 7 Social Distance Warriors 43 Week 7 Texas City Players Club 43 Week 7
- Summer Slam Roundtable after 6 Weeks
On Sunday night, Carl, J Michael, and JGT counted down our 51 teams until we got to #1. It was a fun discussion. We’ll do it again soon. If you don’t want to hear us talking quizzo minutiae you can see the standings right here. But who are you kidding, you want to hear us talking quizzo minutiae.