An American icon died yesterday, and needless to say there will be a few questions about her tonight at quizzo. In the meantime, here are a few things you may not have known about Liz Taylor.
- Liz’s Hollywood acting career was begun in part by World War II. The Taylors were living in London when Liz was a little girl, as her father was an art dealer there (Liz was born in London and had joint UK/US citizenship) but when the war broke out, they moved back to the United States. Since Liz’s mom had family in Los Angeles, they decided to move there. (Source: wikipedia.)
- Taylor was born with a mutation that gave her two sets of eyelashes. (Source: Washington Post)
- Liz Taylor was the voice behind Maggie’s first word on The Simpsons. The word was “Daddy”, but because Taylor repeatedly said it too sexily for a baby, they had to record 24 takes. Finally, Taylor said “F*** you” to Simpson’s creator Matt Groenig and walked out. They went with the best one they had. (Source: NY Daily News)
- Liz and her final husband, Larry Fortensky, met at the Bette Ford Clinic and were married at Michael Jackson’s Neverland Ranch. A parachuting papparazzo landed 20 feet from the wedding gazebo during the ceremony. (Source: People Mag.)
- Taylor tried to renounce her US citizenship in 1965 in an attempt to shield her income from US taxes, but lost her nerve and refused to renounce “all allegiance to the United States of America.” (source: Mental Floss)