They’re back for the first time since Quizzo Bowl. And with Lambda offering only a token defense of their title, they have quickly slid down the rankings. Furthermore, with a lot of interesting developments the past couple of weeks, they are rather surprising.
- L. Ron Hubbard’s Diabetics. Simple: they’re the only team to go undefeated since Quizzo Bowl, and that includes a one point win over a stacked Steak Em Up team last Tuesday at Bards. Their 15th place finish at the Bowl, however, has numerous critics howling at this selection.
- Duane’s World. They’ve won 3 straight at Black Sheep, won at the Vous when Black Sheep cancelled for St. Pattie’s Day, and have won 2 of the first 4 at Westbury (yes, Mike’s quiz counts in the power rankings). In addition, their sister squad, Eschaton, finished 3rd at Quizzo Bowl and beat Steak Em Up two weeks ago. They’re on fire.
- Steak Em Up. Close but no cigar has been the name of the game for Steak Em Up since Quizzo Bowl. A one point loss Tuesday, an overtime loss last Thursday, and a two point loss the week before has people wondering if Steak Em Up has taken over Donovan’s role as official city choker.
- Savage Ear. With Where’s Jon’s Rum retiring from O’Neals quizzo and Lambda resting on their laurels, Savage Ear has rushed in to fill the power vacuum left by their departure. 3 wins in the last 4 weeks.
- Lambda. Yeah, they won Quizzo Bowl. Yawn. That was a month ago, and little has been seen of them since. Fishtown’s Finest are like a boxer who wins the title and then refuses to fight anybody for 10 months so they can still be called “Champ” when they go to the grocery store.
- Slicklizzard (aka the Champs) They’re baaaack. Nice to see the legendary Champs crew back on the scene. They’ve won twice at Ugly American on Monday and two weeks ago at the Rendezvous.
- The Jams. Speaking of the Rendezvous, hard to get a grip on ranking the teams there, as it is by far the most evenly matched bar. However the Jams are the only team to win more than once in the last 6 weeks, and they’ve been top 3 each of those weeks, so they get the nod.
- Narcotyzing Dysfunktion. Really establishing themselves as Philly’s finest 2nd place teams. You have to wonder: if they got the whole team out instead of just three or four the last few weeks, would they winning these close games?
- Death Panel Killed Grandma. Come out of nowhere to pull off upset at the Vous this week. One week wonders, or real contenders on the scene?
- Magnus ver Magnusson. One win, one place, and one show in the past month has Magnus living large.
Also receiving votes: Same Name as Last Week, Inglorious Barristers, CatDog, Joe Spector, April Fools, Tooth Wind and Fire, 5th Estate, Phillie RNs
Special “Most Spirited Team” Award: Team Friendship, Bards.