Good news. Mad Men isn’t over on June 23rd after all. Nope, you’re gonna get to enjoy it for a whole other week, as we’re gonna be doing a Mad Men quizzo at the Trestle Inn on June 30th.
We’ve now had a whole two more seasons since our last Mad Men quiz, so there’s a whole lot more to work with. We’re gonna see how much you know about Don, Joan, Roger, Peg, and that detestable Pete Campbell, as well as all of the other characters who have wandered into and out of the various incarnations of what was once Sterling Cooper. There will be controversy, lots of booze, and plenty of scandalous sex. And I will personally buy a pitcher of Happy Hour Whiskey Sours for whomever does the best job dressing up in Mad Men garb. Action starts at 6. Hope to see you there!
I know some of you don’t have facebook because you’re weird or you are hiding something from Big Brother. So I will post the questions I’ve asked so far for “You Supply the Answers Week” and feel free to shoot me an email (Johnny @ Johnnygoodtimes.com) with your responses. (Or, if you do have facebook and haven’t answered them yet, just go here and answer on the facebook page.) I’ll have more questions posted tomorrow.
Who are your favorite three actresses?
What are the 3 best shows of the 2000s besides Mad Men and The Wire?
Who is the most overrated musician/band on earth?
What are your favorite 3 comedy films of all time?
Who are your 3 favorite American rock bands of all time?
What is your favorite island you’ve ever been to?
Who is your favorite comedian?
What are your 3 favorite American cities you’ve ever visited?
What are the stupidest/worst 3 songs you’ve ever heard?
Gonna kick off the Summer Invitational with a bang…by working backwards. Next week’s quiz, Week 1 of the JGT Summer Invitational, is all about you. I’m gonna ask you about things that you do and don’t like, and I’m gonna make questions out of your answers.
A few days ago, some friends and I were kicking around our Top 5 lists on various topics, from sports to movies to TV and so on. And I thought: this would be a fun way to write a quiz. So here is how it’s gonna work…in the next few days on facebook, I’m gonna be asking you to post your superlatives. Your favorite (and least favorite) movies, TV shows, bands, places you’ve visited, etc. I will then take your answers to those questions and form questions out of them. (i.e. if someone says Godfather is their favorite movie, I may ask a question at next week’s quiz like, “The horse’s head found in what film was delivered to the set from a dog food company?” Or possibly something less weird.)
I hope you’ll contribute…this experiment won’t work without your feedback. And please help me spread the word by clicking “Like” below. The more people who contribute the better.
If you aren’t already a member of the Johnny Goodtimes facebook page, just ask to join and I’ll quickly put you in. Gonna be a great way to get to know you guys better and a fun and unique way to write a quiz. Our format for next week will be quite different than normal. This should be a lot of fun.
We start it off at O’Neals at 8 p.m. $5 burritos and quesadillas, $3.50 margaritas, and $3.50 Mexican beers make for a cheap and fun night out. The quiz is pretty interesting. A bit of pop culture, a bit of sports, and a few wrinkles in between. (Speaking of wrinkles, we’re changing everything for next week’s quiz, which will kick off the Summer Invitational. Details coming this afternoon.) $50 gift certificate for the winners, and it’s anybody’s ballgame. 6 different winners in the past 7 weeks.
On to City Tap House at 10:15. Yes, the Spurs-Heat game will be on while we play quizzo. And yes, there will be great beer specials as always. And yes, I am hoping that the speed round screws up the Jesters of Tortuga, though I certainly won’t count on it. Hope to see you tonight!
This artist was born in the city of Leeuwarden on June 17th, 1898.
I’m excited to announced that Tailgate Trivia will be airing on Phillies Nation TV Tuesday on CN8 at 6 p.m. I’ve been wanting to get something like this off the ground for years, and I’m thrilled that the very talented guys at Phillies Nation decided to give it a shot as part of their weekly baseball program. We had a ton of fun shooting it, and I hope the fun we had translates onto camera (I haven’t seen the segment yet myself). If it does, I thinking it could be the start of something really cool. We combined baseball trivia and wiffle ball to create something goofy, fun, and different than anything I’ve seen on sports television. I hope you’ll check it out.
Our Top 3 just keep on rolling, but after that, things are really wide slam open. Anybody could crack the Top 5 with an impressive performance this week.
1. Duane’s World (Black Sheep). A 26 point win at Black Sheep makes it 4 in a row. Last week: #1
2. Jesters of Tortuga (CTH/Bards). 4 in a row at City Tap House. 3 in a row at Bards. Will they take on Duane’s World this week in an effort to gain the top spot? Or are they still yellow bellied crumb bums? Last week: #2
3. The Jams (Locust Rendezvous). Escape with a one-point win at the Vous on Wednesday. 4th straight win at Vous. Last week: #3
4. Underground Bards (CTH/Industry). The Four-spot is wide open. This is the 4th team to get the #4 ranking in 4 weeks. It hasn’t worked out so well for the previous occupants. Can the Bards record another win this week and stay in the Top 5? Last week: #8
5. We Got Nothin/Savage Ear (O’Neals). They brought a skeleton crew to O’Neals on Tuesday, and took a pounding. But with most of the rest of the Top 10 either losing big or taking the week off, they don’t fall too far. Last week: #4
6. Careless Fister (North Star). Will Careless Fister return to defend their title this week? Could we have our first rivalry at North Star (Always Finish 4th vs. Fister, with Inkspot looking to cause trouble for both?) Last week: NR
7. New and Improved Team Name (O’Neals). These guys have won under a different team name. But now that they’re new and improved, can we expect more victories? Last week: NR
8. Sidecardigans. Take a ass-whoopin’ last Monday. Can they rebound tonight? Last week: #6
9. Formerly Known as School District Employees (Sidecar). The bad news is they’re out a job thanks to…uh, ok, we won’t go there. The good news is that their new profession (professional quizzo players) is off to a flying start! Last week: NR
10. Always Finish 4th (North Star). Catch a beatdown at North Star last week to take a tumble in the rankings. Last week: #5
11. Tempura House.
12. Ink Spot.
13. Jitney Spears.
14. Hobo Cop.
15. Go Ahead Hater.
16. I Am the Nucleus.
17. Ruby Tuesday.
18. Exhausted Nihilists.
20. Hooter and Chuff
First Place: Jesters of Tortuga 112
2nd Place: Go Ahead Hater 100
3rd Place: Ruby Tuesday 90
First Place: Underground Bard 109
2nd Place: Tempura House. Shelter for Lightly Battered Women 102
3rd Place: Hobo Cop 85
First Place: Duane’s World 107
2nd Place: Jitney Spears 81
3rd Place: Golfing With Joel 78
First Place: Jams 84
2nd Place: I Am the Nucleus 83
3rd Place: Hot 4 Siracha 80
First Place: Jesters of Tortuga 103
2nd Place: Underground Bard 96
3rd Place: Jewish Beatles 72
First Place: New and Improved Team Name 90
2nd Place: I Killed Robb Stark 86
3rd Place: Unaboober 81
First Place: Formerly Known as School District Employees 83
2nd Place: My Name is Really Jerome 71
3rd Place: Sidecardigans 60