I’m too lazy to snoop around for what fun stuff is going on for Beer Week this week, and let’s face it, so are you. And we’re both too poor for fancy beer dinners. So I asked the lovely Ginger to give us a Cliff Notes/Beer on a Budget version of the highlights of the coming week. Here are some things Philly’s Beer Lass recommends:
Thank goodness. It’s here. Philly Beer week is really here. After Months of preparing my liver for mass amounts of beer-I think I’m ready. Hopefully, you are too. With over 130 competing events, we might not get to see each other too much… But here’s my agenda and perhaps we can have a beer or two here or there. Lots of events are already sold out. I decided not to do the fancy shmancy dinner thing and set up a bunch of casual nights like happy hours, quizzes, and runs. Runs? Well-run. I am co hosting the only event of the week involving any sort of athleticism. Here’s my line up, and a few other fun events.
- Monday, March 10– Ultimate Beer Trivia with Johnny Goodtimes and IPA Beer Club’s Suzanne Woods (my witness protection name). Get a team together and see if you have what it takes to walk away with a couple hundred dollars and bragging rights… serves as a preliminary round to Beer Geek competition. Triumph Brewing 8 p.m.
- Tuesday, March 11– Meet and Greet Sly Fox Brewmaster Brian O’Reilly at Johnny Brenda’s Try their new Standard Ale. 6 pm. Or meet brother and sister team David and Sebbie Buhler, one from Elysian Brewing in Seattle, the other from Rogue in Oregon.
- Wednesday, March 12– Local Brewers self guided Bar tour. Join 7 local breweries and 7 local bars. Starting at Jose Pistolas at 6 pm. Beer Loving Ladies make sure you’re at Devils Alley by 8:30 to compete against the local breweries in a Sly Fox Seamus showdown.
- Thursday, March 13– Philly Beer Week Beer Geek Competition @ Johnny Brenda’s. I will be judging along with other beer folk. 8 pm. $5 cover. Also on Thursday, the Mustache Bash with Smuttynose beers at South Philly Tap Room. Every man who enters with a moustache drinks $2 Smuttynose beers all night.
- Friday, March 14– Sly Fox and South Hampton have a friendly square off at Good Dog Try General Sullivan’s red ale on cask, or Sly Fox Oatmeal stout. Sly cans on special. 6pm till ?
- Saturday, March 15:– Saturday, March 15 11:00 AM. Co-hosting Philly Beer Week Beer run: In Pursuit of Hoppiness with the Brew Lounge. Meet at Art Museum at 11, run 5 miles finishing with beers at Dock St. Pub. Free. Donations to benefit pocket change for parkinson’s…Michael Jackson: the Man and his Legacy at Penn museum sessions at 1 p.m., 3:30 p.m., and 6:00 p.m. That’s famous beer critic Michael Jackson, not race morphing Peter Pan hair on fire musician Michael Jackson. Call 215-898-3900 for tickets…Do you make a mean chili? Chili cook off at the Khyber at 2 p.m…Finally, I’ll be joining SouthHampton and 5 other breweries for a special Ides of March party in Mayfair at 9 p.m.
- Sunday, March 16-Cask Ale fest at Triumph from 1-4 p.m…Sly Fox Seamus and 29 others! And LADIES BEER TEA @ the Belgian Café 3-5 p.m. Drink great beer amongst great women.
- And finally, The Last Huzzah, the T.U.D. at 7:05 p.m. Philly Beer Week’s last official event. Come have that last Totally Unnecessary drink at FERGIES. Cheap ass Imperial Pints for $3 Guest bartenders from the Brewing industry and karaoke. Don’t worry, you’ll be drunk enough to sing. Sponsored by YARDS and Sly Fox.