In case you missed it last week at the Black Sheep, Drew Lazor of the City Paper (interviewed here) wrote his own quiz about food and drink. Pretty damn good questions. Here they are. Answers are after the jump.
- What are the three ingredients in a Manhattan?
- In 1988′s “Coming to America,” what is the name of the signature sandwich at the McDonald’s clone McDowell’s?
- What is the term for meat from an adult sheep?
- Hamentashen, a triangular filled pastry, is traditionally eaten in honor of what Jewish holiday?
- Which of the 50 states is the only one to grow coffee plants commercially?
- Star anise, cloves, cinnamon, Sichuan peppercorn, fennel are together known as what?
- What literary giant has a drink named after him that consists of white rum, lime juice, grapefruit juice, maraschino liqueur, and sugar?
- Which current Philadelphia chef, who runs Zahav, was recently honored with the 2011 “Best Chef Mid-Atlantic” award from the James Beard Foundation?
- What writer and TV personality is still considered the chef at large at the New York brasserie Les Halles?
- In 1987′s “Adventures in Babysitting,” what food item does a temporarily blind Brenda attempt to buy with a personal check in the bus station?
Bonus: Which pasta variety’s Italian name translates to “little ear” ?