As you may have noticed, I’m back to “blogging”. Got my WordPress updated and now it’s so much more fun to write on here, gonna make the most of it. Here’s a few things I’m reading, listening to, enjoying.
- Guy catching a marshmellow thrown off the Ben Franklin Bridge in his mouth. This is peak Philly.
- On a totally different vibe, this article on the struggles of a Penn student from Kensington is worth a read.
- Speaking of Kensington, our latest podcast episode, with total badass Cheri Honkala of Kenzo, just came out. Find out why she’s sick of people complaining about Trump, what it was like running as the Green Party’s VP in 2012, and what life is really like at the frontlines of the opioid crisis.
- Been listening to Ka lately. He’s a firefighter in New York who used to be a drug dealer, and just a tremendous poet. No glorification of that life, just a stark retelling of his younger days. The beats are sparse to give the spotlight to his rhymes, and he definitely does not disappoint. This whole song deals with his love of money versus his conscience. Love guys who can paint a picture like this:
Used to chip it at the lab
Bag, then flip it on the ave
Every trip I’m like “This one is the last.”
Two weeks later, I’m dipping in my stash
Back to the crill again, feelin’ thin
If you doin’ it to eat is it still a sin?
Used to feel bad, but then in a short time,
It’s like “Fuck your family, somebody got rich off mine.”
- One of the most fun things about having a kid is watching crazy Youtube videos with them. I’ll be honest, I dig these bikers riding downhill more than my son does. This dude Sam Pilgrim is NUTS.